The Christopher League 2018 Spring Season has its opening game this Saturday. For those who are new to NYO, the Christopher League is a baseball league designed for children with disabilities. The Christopher League Players are assisted by Buddies who come from the community at large, and we hope that the NYO community will come out to support us. We request that the Buddies be at least 10 years of age. Our schedule is at the bottom of this article.
All home games are at the NYO Wilkens-Bronco Field and run from 9:00 to 10:30. Our first 2 games are at NYO during private school Spring Break, so if you can make either or both of those games, it will be most appreciated as we may be short of our usual Buddy numbers. Also, we are recruiting for a team photographer to provide action pictures for the NYO website. Any volunteers?
We will play away games at Murphey Candler, Buckhead and Sandy Springs. Buddies are welcomed and encouraged to participate in as many events as they can. Please make a special effort to attend the away games as historically we have many fewer Buddies attending.
A few rules for Buddies.
- Safety is our first concern. Stay with your Player at all time. You must know where your Players are and do not let them leave the field or meander into a position of danger.
- Try to show up by game time (9:00 for home games). Although you will arrive before most of our Players, it is better to have the Buddies ready to go when called upon.
- When we are batting, keep the Players either in the dugout (we take the 3rd base dugout on the Bronco Field) or on the dirt patch along the fence.
- Keep your Player entertained and have fun. If you are in the field and your Player does not want to play a defensive position, it is perfectly acceptable and even desirable to create your own game of any sort in the outfield, as long as it does not interfere with the batters, other fielders and baserunners. Play catch, play tag, discuss the likelihood of Amazon HQ2 coming to Atlanta or the possible solutions for Atlanta’s incessant traffic woes (are autonomous cars the solution?). Try to keep your Player engaged as it can get a little boring just standing in the field.
- If you need to leave early, be sure your Player has at least one remaining Buddy.
- Be patient. The games against other teams can be a little long, but we like to get everybody at least 2 at bats.
- Be ready. I like to try to have the game moving as quickly as possible.
- Uniforms, gloves or any other baseball equipment are not required. I recommend tied shoes, but flip-flops have made more than one appearance.
- I do not need to know if you are not going to be able to attend any particular game. I trust you will make it to all the games you can.
- I bring drinks for the Players and Buddies. If we are running low, please try to save the drinks for the Players.
- We reserve parking spaces close to the field for Players only. Please park outside of the reserved spaces.
- I will sign any community service forms you give to me if you have a pen, but I cannot draft them.
- I will communicate to the Christopher League community by email. If the weather is questionable, keep checking your emails.
- See rule #1.
Please contact Leo Rose (firstname.lastname@example.org) if (i) you are interested in receiving the emails I send to Buddies, or (ii) you know of a Player who may want to join our team. If a baseball team or softball team wants to assist for a game or 2 or 3 as a group, let me know.
Thank you in advance for abiding by the “Reserved Parking for Christopher League players” signs. We tried to schedule most home games to not conflict with the NYO regular season, but we could not avoid all conflicts.
Send me an email if you have any questions.
|3/10||Private School Spring Break Starts||Murphey Candler
|3/17||Private School Spring Break Ends||Buckhead
|NYO Baseball Opening Day Parade following Game||NYO v NYO||@NYO|
Public School Spring Break Start
|NYO||@ Sandy Springs
|4/7||Public School Spring Break Ends||Murphey Candler
|@ Murphey Candler|
|4/14||Possible Fan Day at Oglethorpe in the afternoon
(potential makeup date)
|NYO v NYO||@NYO