The Christopher League 2020 Spring Ball Season has its opening game on Saturday, March 14th from 9:00 – 10:30 on the Wilkens/Bronco Field, before all this NYO’s Opening Day festivities. We are hosting the Sandy Springs team and I anticipate we will have 35-45 players who will need Buddies. We ask that the Buddies (girls and boys) be at least 10 years old. This is a truly fun and rewarding experience for all volunteers.
The entire NYO community is invited and encouraged to support the Christopher League. Please attend with a team, with friends, or by yourself for any game you can.
A few rules for our Buddies.
- Safety is our first concern. Stay with your Player at all time. You must know where your Players are and do not let them leave the field or meander into a position of danger.
- Try to show up by game time (9:00 for home games). Although you will arrive before most of our Players, it is better to have the Buddies ready to go when called upon.
- When we are batting, keep the Players either in the dugout or on the dirt patch along the fence.
- Keep your Player entertained and have fun. If you are in the field and your Player does not want to play a defensive position, it is perfectly acceptable and even desirable to create your own game of any sort in the outfield, as long as it does not interfere with the batters, other fielders and baserunners. Play catch, play tag, discuss the likelihood of the Braves making the playoffs or the possible solutions for Atlanta’s incessant traffic woes (are electronic scooters the last-mile solution?). Try to keep your Player engaged.
- If you need to leave early, be sure your Player has at least one remaining Buddy.
- Uniforms, gloves or any other baseball equipment are not required. I recommend tied shoes.
- I do not need to know if you are not going to be able to attend any particular game. I trust you will make it to all the games you can.
- I will sign any community service forms you give to me if you have a pen, but I cannot draft them. I do not verify volunteer hours over the internet as I do not track attendance.
- I will communicate to the Christopher League community by email or via notice on this website. If the weather is questionable, keep checking your emails.
- See rule #1.
Our schedule for remaining games is below. You will note that a few teams have already volunteered, but we can use 2-4 teams a game, so opportunities abound.
If you want to get on the email list for Buddies, please let me know.
Please contact Leo Rose (firstname.lastname@example.org) if (i) you are interested in becoming a Buddy, (ii) have any questions, or (iii) you know of a Player who may want to join our team.
|DATE||Notes||Opponent||Time & Location||
NYO Volunteer Teams
|3/14||NYO Baseball Opening Day Parade following Game||Sandy Springs||9:00 @NYO
|9:00 @NYO||Karma (J Riley)
|3/28||Sandy Springs||11:30@ Sandy Springs|
|4/4||Public School Spring Break Start||OFF
|4/11||Public School Spring Break Ends||Buckhead||9:00 @NYO|
|9:00 @Murphey Candler Park||Bronco Braves|
|5/9||Team party to follow game||Buckhead||9:00 @NYO|